About Mental Illness
A mental illness is a medical condition that disrupts a person’s thinking, feeling, mood, ability to relate to others and daily functioning.
What is Recovery?
Recovery from serious mental illness is not only possible, but for many people living with mental illness today, probable. The notion of recovery involves a variety of perspectives.
We're Here to Listen
Call the NAMI Helpline at
Mental Illness Fact Sheets
- Mental Illness can affect persons of any age, race, religion or socioeconomic status.
- One in four American adults experiences an episode of mental illness per year.
- Individuals, both diagnosed and undiagnosed, with mental illness are those around us – our neighbors, our friends, family and co-workers.
- Four million children and adolescents in this country suffer from a serious mental disorder that causes significant functional impairments at home, at school and with peers.
- Mental health disorders account for more disability that any other illness, including cancer and heart disease reports the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
NAMI’s fact sheets offer clear, concise information on mental health topics. A few ways to use them include sharing them with a loved one, bringing them to an appointment or handing them out at health fairs. Download the PDFs below.
Fact Sheets in PDF Form for Mental Health Conditions
ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder)
OCD (Obsessive-compulsive Disorder)
PTSD (Posttraumatic Stress Disorder)
Fact Sheets in PDF Form for Related Conditions
Fact Sheets in PDF Form for Treatment & Services
Complementary Health Approaches
ECT and Other Brain Stimulation Therapies
Movement Disorders Checklist
Mental Health Professionals
Additional Fact Sheets
Fact sheets from the AKA-NAMI partnership (focus on African Americans)
Finding a Culturally Competent Provider
What is Early and First-Episode Psychosis?
Early Psychosis: What’s Going On and What Can You Do?
Encouraging People to Seek Help for Early Psychosis
Early Intervention: Tips for School Staff and Coaches
Fact Sheets in PDF Form En Español
La Salud Mental Nos Afecta a Todos
La Salud Mental
La Competencia Cultural
Como Ayudar a Un Ser Querido
Como Puedes Ayudarte
Plan en Caso de Crisis
Mitos y Verdades Sobre el Suicidio
y Preguntas que le Puedes Hacer a tu ser Querido
Trastornos de Ansiedad
Trastorno Límite de la Personalidad
Trastorno Por Estrés Postraumático
Trastorno Obsesivo Compulsivo
El Riesgo De Suicidio
From Next Door To Across The Nation
Become a Member
Become a part of NAMI! Subscribe to the latest mental health updates, participate in an online discussion group, learn how to advocate in your community and add your voice to the mental health movement.
Thank you for your generous tax-deductible donation. You are helping us provide support, education, and advocacy to thousands of people living with mental illness in Missouri.
Get In Touch
The families and members of NAMI Southwest Missouri are here to help! We offer understanding to anyone concerned about mental illnesses and the treatment of mental illness.