Support & Education
About Mental Illness
A mental illness is a medical condition that disrupts a person’s thinking, feeling, mood, ability to relate to others and daily functioning.
What is Recovery?
Recovery from serious mental illness is not only possible, but for many people living with mental illness today, probable. The notion of recovery involves a variety of perspectives.
We're Here to Listen
Call the NAMI Helpline at
A free 12-session educational program for family, significant others and friends of people living with mental illness. It is a designated evidenced-based program. NAMI-trained family members who have been there lead the course with presentations, discussion and interactive exercises. The group setting allows you to connect with others and build a community of support.
NAMI Family-to-Family covers:
- How to manage crises, solve problems and communicate effectively
- Taking care of yourself and managing your stress
- Developing the confidence and stamina to provide support with compassion
- Finding and using local support and services
- Up-to-date information on mental health conditions and how they affect the brain
- Current treatments, including evidence-based therapies, medications and side effects
- The impact of mental illness on the entire family
From Next Door To Across Southwest Missouri
Become a Member
Become a part of NAMI! Subscribe to the latest mental health updates, participate in an online discussion group, learn how to advocate in your community and add your voice to the mental health movement.
Thank you for your generous tax-deductible donation. You are helping us provide support, education, and advocacy to thousands of people living with mental illness in Missouri.
Get In Touch
The families and members of NAMI Southwest Missouri are here to help! We offer understanding to anyone concerned about mental illnesses and the treatment of mental illness.