Support & Education
About Mental Illness
A mental illness is a medical condition that disrupts a person’s thinking, feeling, mood, ability to relate to others and daily functioning.
What is Recovery?
Recovery from serious mental illness is not only possible, but for many people living with mental illness today, probable. The notion of recovery involves a variety of perspectives.
We're Here to Listen
Call the NAMI Helpline at
The fundamentals of caring for you and your child with mental illness.
NAMI BASICS is a free new education program for parents and other care givers of children/adolescents living with mental illness. NAMI drew on course elements which have been extensively tested and found to be highly effective.
These elements include:
* Recognition of mental illness as a continuing traumatic event for the child and the family
* Sensitivity to the subjective emotional issues faced by family caregivers and well children in the family
* Recognition of the need to help reduce the day-to-day objective burdens of care and management
* Gaining confidence and stamina for what can be a life-long role of family understanding and support
* Empowerment of caregivers as effective advocates for their children
The NAMI BASICS education program includes the following components:
* Six 2 1/2 hour classes of instructional material, discussions and interactive exercises
* A section of the NAMI website dedicated to disseminating information, including informational videos and resources for the program
* In addition to the core six classes, additional topic modules will be available for independent presentations
From Next Door To Across Southwest Missouri
Become a Member
Become a part of NAMI! Subscribe to the latest mental health updates, participate in an online discussion group, learn how to advocate in your community and add your voice to the mental health movement.
Thank you for your generous tax-deductible donation. You are helping us provide support, education, and advocacy to thousands of people living with mental illness in Missouri.
Get In Touch
The families and members of NAMI Southwest Missouri are here to help! We offer understanding to anyone concerned about mental illnesses and the treatment of mental illness.